5 things You Can Do to Keep Your Roof in the Best Possible Condition.Leave a Comment
Most of the damage done to your roof is caused by severe weather like heavy rain, strong winds, hail and snow storms or hurricanes. Although this type of damage is unavoidable, there are precautions you can take to prolong the lifespan of your roof. Here are 5 things you can do as home and business owners to keep your roof in the best possible condition.
1. Clean out your gutters regularly. Most people do not realize how important it is to clean out their gutters regularly. The gutters are essential to keeping the roof dry and protecting your roof from water damage. When your gutters are not properly cleaned out the water is unable to run from the roof to the ground. This water gets trapped and begins to pour where it does not belong which can result in extensive damage not only to your roof, but to other areas of your home. To avoid this from happening to your home, make sure you clean out your gutters twice per year.
2. Trim your Trees. Make sure you keep tree limbs groomed when they are close to the foundation of your home. When limbs get too long, they start rubbing on your roof and siding. They have nowhere else to go. Eventually they will start to cause wear and tear to your roof, such as holes that allow water to leak through. This can create huge problems for your home. So, pay attention to the trees surrounding you. If the branches are close to your roof or siding, trim them down to avoid unnecessary wear and tear.
3. Avoid pressure washing your roof. Before you decide to pressure wash your roof, you should know that the damage it causes does not outweigh a clean looking roof. In the short-term your roof will look great, but in the long-term you will notice a build-up of moss, algae and mold. This is the result of the slow erosion caused by pressure washing. The intensity of the water jet can take the top layer of coating off any roofing material. This leaves the surface more susceptible to deterioration and water damage. If your roof is in need of a cleaning, it is best to call a roofing professional.
4. Stay proactive with mold and mildew removal. Being that they provide coverage for our homes, roofs are constantly exposed to the elements. Since are not able to avoid the variety of precipitation and heavy winds we experience throughout the year, mold and mildew growth is inevitable. If left unattended, mold can lead to moss which forms water pockets. To avoid this process, it is recommended you have regular inspections and/or maintenance done to clean up small spots of mold. This will increase the lifespan of your roof and preserve its structural and cosmetic nature.
5. Leave maintenance and repairs to the professionals. There are 2 main reasons we recommend you hire a roofing professional instead of fixing it yourself. The first reason is that we care about your safety. Unlike the professionals who have spent hours learning the safest and most effective way to fix and install roofs, you are not familiar with the proper practices and techniques. Not only is your roof a few stories above ground, you will be handling tools you do not use on a daily basis. If you are not careful, you could end up in a dangerous situation. That’s why it is best to leave it to the professionals.
The professionals are also going have a better knowledge of warranty and pricing information. They will know which materials are worth spending the extra money on and which ones provide the best bang for their buck. They will advise you through the whole roofing process and help you choose options that are best for you.
If you remember to do these 5 things regularly, you will prolong your roof’s lifespan and keep it in the best possible condition.
Let a JM Roofing representative help you resolve all your roofing needs, today! Contact us for a free consultation at 800-409-5709.